AGILEVC My idle thoughts on tech startups

October 19, 2009

Many entrepreneurs have blogged about a liquidity event and the impact it has on their life. But Jason Cohen has created perhaps the best visual representation I’ve seen of the non-linear relationship between how much money an exit puts in an entrepreneur’s pocket and their outlook on life. This graphic appears in his blog post which goes into some detail about why he sold his company.

He uses the word “lifestyle” in the graph’s title, but I actually think a more accurate wording is outlook on life in part because the definition of “freedom” varies by person. Someone who has “freedom” money may not change their lifestyle dramatically, but going from not having “freedom” money to having it certainly changes their outlook on life. For someone who’s definition of freedom is renting a shack on the beach in Costa Rica and surfing for the remainder of their life, the amount might only be $1-2M. For someone who already lives a pretty expensive lifestyle in Manhattan or London, the number might be $20M+. For a large swath of folks it’s probably close to $10M give or take.
But the point isn’t really what that amount is for any given person. The point, which the graphic illustrates very well, is the non-linear relationship which exists for pretty much everybody. Having “freedom” money isn’t twice as good as having the 50% of “freedom” amount, just as having 10x the amount isn’t 10x better.

5,679 Responses to “Non-linear relationship between cash & life outlook”

1. avatar October 20, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Thanks for the mention! I agree that each person has a different notion of where that line is (hence the '?' in the chart).

Maybe "enough money that you never have to work again, given your ideal lifestyle" is another definition?

2. avatar October 20, 2009 at 3:59 PM

No prob, I enjoyed your post and the visual representation.

Yes, I'd agree that's a good definition. Also the key point is "never have to work" which is not the same as "don't work". Lots of entrepreneurs who've had a "freedom" type of liquidity event still choose to continue working for other reasons beyond economic ones, of course.

About Me

• I'm a former Silicon Valley entrepreneur turned East Coast VC. I co-founded NextView Ventures, a seed-stage VC firm based in Boston, in 2010. Read More »

Coordinates

Rob Cho Go

RobGo.org

NextView Twitter Stream

51015
  • Rob Go
     - 51 minutes ago
    RT @paulg: Before the Startup: http://t.co/4kSe7Ng5WF
  • Rob Go
     - 2 hours ago
    @gregbettinelli @danprimack we would have been making ppt decks instead
  • Rob Go
     - 2 hours ago
    @bussgang thanks Jeff!
  • Rob Go
     - 2 hours ago
    Thinking about Wayfair on the eve of their IPO http://t.co/SaT6I4cphk
  • Rob Go
     - 2 hours ago
    What a day. Can I just say @arielsimonsays @theKeithF and @Jay_zo are awesome for making the bostontechguide happen? Amazing work

Search